Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Blood Donation


Excerpt from the original caption: "Mrs. Chris Sorenson, 4009 W. Thirty-first street, is celebrating a sort of blood donor's silver anniversary -- she made her 25th donation of a pint of blood at the mobile blood unit in St. Louis Park. She has never had any reaction from her giving at various blood banks, and several times has given blood directly to specific people."



About three months ago, I saw information on the news about a blood drive that was being held at the Mall of America the next day. I told myself that I was going to attend the blood bank, but my stomach was in knots about the situation. I texted Ang during that morning, telling her I was nervous. Why was I nervous? No idea. I knew that what I was planning on doing was something that could potentially help someone in need. Due to my visit at the blood bank that Friday morning, I received my 'official' red cross blood drive card. Last week, I received a phone call from red cross asking if I would like to make another donation. I expressed to her that my understanding was that you had to wait a certain amount of time in between. To this I was told that my last donation was 61 days ago and you must only wait 56 days. So I promptly made an appointment for another donation last Friday. I was unable to attend that appointment, but was told by others that it is still more than they do.

I urge everyone to schedule a time to give a blood donation. The basic eligibility requirements to do so are pretty simple. The red cross is able to discuss other situations with you to ensure that you are eligible, such as health conditions, medication, travel, etc.

  • Be healthy
  • Be at least 17 years old in most states
  • Weigh at least 110 pounds
There are four steps to actual donations process. You will start with registration where they will check your identification and have read a short packet of information about the process and basic eligibility issues. Step 2 involves a a mini physical in which they check your temperature, pulse, blood pressure and hemoglobin level present in a sample of blood. Once you complete your physical, there can be a short wait to be placed on a donation table and the needle is inserted. Once this is complete the whole process of giving blood usually takes anywhere from 8-10 minutes. Someone will stay with you to ensure that you are comfortable and to chat with you. Every item that is used comes from a new sterile package so there should be no concerns about contamination of any sort. Once your donation is complete, you are given refreshments and 10-15 minutes to sit and make sure you do not feel ill or having any issues.

To set up your appointment to donate call 1-800-REDCROSS or visit their website at http://www.redcrossblood.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment