Sunday, May 29, 2011

How To Die In Oregon

Plot Summary from IMDb:

In 1994 Oregon became the first state to legalize physician-assisted suicide. At the time, only Belgium, Switzerland, and the Netherlands had legalized the practice. 'How to Die in Oregon' tell the stories of those most intimately involved with the practice today -- terminally ill Oregonians, their families, doctors, and friends -- as well as the passage of an assisted suicide law in Washington State.

I know that I am a very emotional person, but yet there are times that something catches my eye and I have to see it or read it or whatever. I knew just from seeing a 1 minute trailer for this movie that I needed to see this documentary. Angie and I came across it On Demand the other night and decided to watch it. I was mesmerized and intrigued, and needless to say, glued to the TV for the next two hours- spending the last 30 minutes crying my eyes out.

I could never imagine taking my own life, no matter how bad the situation may seem. My heart aches every time that I hear of someone who has taken their own life. I try to think about what could have caused them so much pain that they saw no other option, but I can never come to a reason. But I know that I could never understand that reason for them because it is not something that I believe in.

BUT... What if I was in the situation of one of those depicted in this movie? Would something like that change my thinking? Would I know "when life is no longer worth living"? Would it come easily to me or would I 'chicken' out if that decision was in front me? There is no way that I could ever answer these questions, because I am not in that situation and would never expect to be.

This movie has made me think about the courage that these people and their families had to have. How do you make a decision as to what your death date will be? How do you say to your loved ones, that no matter what they think is available to you or what treatment options are left, that you have had enough?

This movie is a true depiction of the kind of decisions that one must make at the end of their life. The movie showed a little of both sides, but was more on the side of those who made the choice to end their life. There was only one person shown in the movie who did not go this route. He was (until the movie was made) denied chemotherapy treatment by his insurance company- but they did offer him physician assisted suicide as one of the treatment plans available to him.

What would you do in this situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment