Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why Las Vegas??

Many people are asking why I am moving to Las Vegas. There are a few simple reasons that I can share with you, many also some complicated ones that would be hard to explain. Alot of people are thinking that I am running away from life here in Minnesota. Yes, it was a break-up with an amazing person that pushed me over the edge, and to most I'm sure it does look like I am running. But I am running to a new adventure, not from anything.

As many people know, my dad had a severe heart attack in August 2009. When I was initially flying out there, my thoughts were that I would be meeting Maureen, we would take him off life support and plan for a memorial or such. But there was an unexpected twist and he survived. Spending a week out there, watching him fight for his life, made me realize that it was time to spend more time with him. Yes, he hasn't always been around and we haven't always had the best relationship. But I can't erase what we have gone through in the past. It is time for us to move on and have a relationship. The relationship I have with my step-dad, Steve, will never change. He raised me and gave me a father when I didn't always have one. He supported me through all the tough times with my dad. So this is a main reason for my move to Vegas.

I also have other family in Las Vegas as well. I have a brother named Josh who is now 16 and an (ex) step-brother Michael who is 20. I was able to locate them a few weeks ago, and we are going to try to work on re-building the relationship that we missed out on growing up. Josh said that he doesn't remember me, which I don't blame him because it has been a long time since I last saw him. Michael, however, does remember me and was excited and overwhelmed just like I was. I am hoping that by me being in Las Vegas, I can get to know them better.

There is an amazing organization in Las Vegas called The Shade Tree who worked with domestic violence victims. I have already completed a phone interview with them and will find out within next few weeks what the next steps are. They said they felt there were a few areas that I would fit well in within their organization. I think that this would be a great career move for me if I am able to get a position. I love my job at Tubman, but it is really all that I have ever done in my adult career. Sure, I have had many other amazing positions within the community and within social services, but it is time for me to move on. I moved up so fast within Tubman that I feel that I can not go anywhere else within the agency. I have learned so much and have had some of the greatest supports in my life from that place, but again, it's time to move on.

My last simple reason for leaving Minnesota is my health. We all know that Minnesota weather can change within hours and can be unpredictable. For someone with Fibromyalgia and chronic migraines, this can really ruin my day. The changes in the weather really affect my body and the heat in Las Vegas could really help my condition. There weather is predictable- meaning it's always warm. You will all know when I have fully become accustomed to Las Vegas when I start to say that it was cold. Their winter cold is our spring/fall warmth.

I keep saying that I won't miss Minnesota, but of course I will. Its more a defense for me to say that because leaving is hard. As exciting as it is to go somewhere new, it's also scary. I have lived in Minnesota my whole life and have never been far from mom. But those who have made similar moves or have family members who have done it, all think that it was the best thing they could have done. I am praying that it will be the same for me.

What will I miss the most? The lakes, the green grass and most importantly my family and friends. I have met some amazing people here in Minnesota, many of whom, are not really getting rid of me. I already know of certain people who I will end up talking to more now that I can't see them on a regular basis.

So a new career and new found realtionship with family on the other side of the US is coming up quick. In less than a week I will be a permanent resident of Las Vegas, NV. I hope that all of you who say they are coming to visit actually do. I am sorry if people are feeling that I have not had time lately to see them, but as you can imagine, a move this big when taking as little as I am, can be a bit time consuming. It was great to see everyone who came out on Friday night. You all mean something to me or you wouldn't have been there. Even if we hadn't talked in a while, you obviously had an impact on my life in one way or another and for that I thank you.

I will try to update often so you are all aware of how my exciting adventure turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment