Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Healthcare in NV

Most of you already know, especially if you have been reading this blog, that I am someone who needs to have medical professionals in my life. I am learning that I did not plan for this area of my move to the point that I should have. In Minnesota, if you are without insurance, you can go to the county office and apply. Through my work in social services, I have only seen a denial once, due to county benefit fraud that person had committed. So I figured that coming to Neveda, I would wait the 30-days to become a 'resident' and then apply for medical assistance. I am not receiving insurance through the new job, but I figured everything would be fine. This is not so....but I will make it work.

Apparently it is extremely hard to get medical assistance. Neveda will give it to children, but not so much the adults. I have already experienced one horrible fibromyalgia flare up and yesterday was my first migraine since being here. It had not broken today and none of the medication I already had was helping. I knew that I needed to get medical intervention to break this pain. I looked up Minute clinics and went to one at CVS. After explaining my situation with two chronic illnesses and the move and no insurance- the nurse was empathetic and checked my vitals before going over every low-cost clinic in the area. I was able to find an Urgent Care for immediate treatment and also learned that the clinic provides primary care as well.

Because I don't have insurance, I had to pay a deposit of $70. It was a bonus to find out that by paying the deposit at the time of the visit, I then qualified for a 55% discount on all bills for the visit. They explained that I would maybe get a bill for $20-$50 more and as long as I pay within 90 days, the discount will be applied. Fifty-five percent is huge and within my budget. The doctor was willing to follow the treatment plan that I wanted and also gave me information to obtain a primary doctor.

In other news, today was my 2nd day of work. I will give you lots of updates on how that is going later this week or early next week. I have so many thoughts to write about because I can't help but to compare MN to NV.

No comments:

Post a Comment